Dear Neighborhood School Families,
It has been another busy summer at TNS. The custodial staff has been working hard to move and ready classrooms for September. Construction is underway each and everyday (including Saturdays and some Sundays, too). Members of the Health & Safety Committee and I have met biweekly with the SCA (School Construction Authority) throughout the summer. It looks like, with the exception of the east and west sides of building in limited stairwell areas, all scaffolding will be down and classrooms will be ready when school begins! And although the play area that has been the staging area may still not be accessible for the first couple of weeks of school, the play structure will open!
I want to share some exciting additions to our staff for next year. Over the summer, Christie was approved to take a one year teaching leave from TNS. The hiring committee was aware of this possibility and brought on Shaniqua Pippen, who has worked as a teacher for The Co-op School for 6 years. In addition to teaching, Shanique is passionate about social justice and does political work in relation to raising awareness about issues in urban communities, especially for people of color. Shaniqua will be co-teaching 1/2 with Lindsey Molina. Lindsey comes to us from Central Park East 1, where she has taught for the last 7 years. During her time there, Lindsey worked to create dynamic learning environments grounded in hands-on investigations (for her demo lesson with the hiring committee, Lindsey brought worms!), emergent curriculum and projects inspiring greater interest, depth and understanding. Wanda Cruceta has been teaching early childhood at Purple Circle in the Upper Westside for over 9 years. Wanda comes with a passion for developing developmentally appropriate curriculum that promotes social emotional and intellectual growth, encourages curiosity and creativity, develops problem-solving skills and fosters independence and self-esteem. Wanda will be teaching Pre-K/K. Lastly, our speech teacher, Rebecca will be part-time beginning in the fall so that she can spend more time with her family. We are excited to welcome Amanda Zarrielo as our new full-time speech pathologist.
Very soon, you and your child will be receiving a letter and supply list from your child’s classroom teacher(s). It will detail some important materials your child needs to get started this year. Read it with your child (or have her/him read it to you). Please also be on the look-out for the PTA summer mailing that details many of this year’s events. It’s going to be a wonderful school year!
I very much hope to see you at the PTA sponsored Welcome (back) Picnic on Wednesday, September 7th in the recess yard from 3 - 6pm. In addition to seeing old friends and meeting new ones, our after school programs will be available for sign-up.
Enjoy the rest of the summer and keep cool!
Please read the later bi-weekly report from the TNS Health and Safety Committee regarding building construction.
TOPLINE SUMMARY : WALK THROUGH 8/10/16
The SCA feels very confident that, with the exception of east and west sides of building in limited stairwell areas, all scaffolding will be down and classrooms ready before students arrive on day 1 of school. At this point, the SCA can say that the outside play area that has been the staging area may not be repaved by day 1 of school; the latest it will be completed will be two weeks into September. The play area will be no less than it was at the end of last school year. Recent rain has not been helpful, but Liro has compensated by doing work on Sundays.
ITEMS OF INTEREST
- 17 of the 42 remaining pieces of terra cotta roof arrived today. The rest are in transit. Though SCA does not expect to complete installing every Terra Cotta piece by day 1 of school, they will remove all scaffolding anyway. The remaining roof stones will be installed by man lift after school hours. This will necessitate the existence of a small lift crane barricaded on the 4th Street side of building.
- 50% of new roof installation completed.
- An extensive room-by-room walk through was conducted, identifying all remaining water damage and other damage. SCA assures that all internal spaces will be repaired and professionally cleaned by August 29, when teachers arrive. It is imperative that they coordinate and communicate with Willie, the building manager.
NEXT WALK THROUGH 8/31/16
Please read the later bi-weekly report from the TNS Health and Safety Committee regarding building construction:
TOPLINE SUMMARY : WALK THROUGH 7/27/16
Work remains on schedule to meet deadline of having scaffolding down and classrooms ready before students arrive on day 1 of school. SCA is optimistic, that outside play area work may be complete by day 1 of school, as well, but this is a best case scenario likelihood of which SCA will know much better about in two weeks/next meeting. The weather (NO RAIN!) has by and large been our friend.
ITEMS OF INTEREST
· 1,000 pieces of terra cotta have been installed. 42 remaining pieces of terra cotta roof expected to arrive in August. More exact arrival time will be known by Monday, August 1. Should the terra cotta arrive in a timely manner, and barring bad weather, the chances of having all scaffolding down by day 1 of school is very good. Should the remaining terra cotta not arrive in timely manner, the committee representatives and SCA discussed a contingency plan of removing scaffolding by day 1 of school and installing remaining terra cotta by other means.
· 60% of roof has been cleared as of visit and new roof installation will begin this week.
· Liro Construction fortunately discovered a drainage block in pipes, saving the building a considerable amount of damage. Liro, building manager Wille and the committee identified all water damage to all classrooms and internal areas caused by past and present construction which Liro will remedy as part of their job.
· SCA has agreed to assist in careful replanting of front of building garden plants as soon as practicable.
Next Meeting in 2 weeks.
- Joan Beard on Girls Project ECO Fair Prep!
- Joan Beard on Getting ready for ECO FAIR 2016!!
- Victoria Lee Reichelt on Lego Walk Of Fire
- Victoria Lee Reichelt on Week of October 12, 2015
- Victoria Lee Reichelt on Little Passports
- Debra (Kitty) Ifill on Farmigo Is Back!
- Nanine Blomstrom on Week of August 12, 2015
- Lorraine Hutra-Petersen on What’s Up June 2015
- Diana Soltren on Week of April 13, 2015
- Diana Soltren on Week of April 13, 2015